![]() |
| (L to R) Me, Dad, Mimi Photo Courtesy of Mama Claire |
It seems that all the time people are making promises. Many people say that promises are meant to be broken. After all, promises are usually outrageous, unreasonable deals you make with your friends or family. Or when a boy tells a girl, "I promise I will always love you." And the next week they're not even together and the boy has a new girl. Sometimes a person has no choice to break off their promise, no matter how much they want it to happen. Sometimes things are out of our control.
In my life, there is one promise that I will never forget being told. In April of 2007, I remember hearing my dad say he had a business trip around the same time as my birthday. This meant that he would not be home to celebrate the big ninth birthday with me.
I remember saying, "Daddy, promise me you'll never miss my birthday. Ever?"
He had promised to do the very best he could. This is the one promise I will never, ever forget.
Three months later he passed away unexpectedly. He has missed six birthdays since. Like I said, sometimes things are out of our control. I don't blame him for anything, but I wish that he was here to see me get older.
| My dad and me in 2007 Photo Courtesy of Mama Claire |
I see my friends celebrating with their families, practicing sports with their dads, calling them to say hi. Inside, my soul is crying and my mind is racing with all of the reasons why I was given this challenge. I don't forget promises. I don't say the past should be forgotten for it will always be apart of me. I don't ever give up. What's the point in stopping at an obstacle when there is always a way around it? My friend once said, "God needed a few good men up there and that is why he chose your dad." I know he's up there watching me, and I will do everything in my power to make him proud.
Dad, every time I go on a run, I hear you next to me telling to keep on going. I feel our feet moving in sync and flying through the wind as one. This year Running with Ed just so happens to be on May 18th. Your birthday 49th birthday. I promise to run with my whole heart and soul, and I know you'll be there with me as a run a total of 10 miles through Park City. It is my way of telling the world, and you, that no matter what I am faced with, pain, sadness, injury, I will come out even better than before.
Daddy, even if you can't keep your promise to be here for my birthday, I promise to always be here for yours. See you there.
With love,
Claire
In Loving Memory of Jeff Breiholz
May 18, 1964-July 20, 2007
"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true."
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true."


Claire Mayor Anne Breiholz. Did you know you are my inspiration? Your dad must be so amazingly proud watching you from up there. I don't know anyone stronger than you. This post made me cry out of both sadness and happiness. Sadness because you don't have your dad here on Earth to be with you through all of life's challenges, but out of happiness because you have the best possible outlook on your situation and you inspire me to try and be like you. I love you Mayor <3
ReplyDelete