Friday, March 15, 2013

Mama SWAG


Hello there!  This week I have a rather interesting story that comes from my experience at the Teton Science Schools.

Here is the story that made me call myself, Mama Swag....

March 7, 2013
My school, Treasure Mountain Junior High, had to share the campus with fourth, fifth, and sixth graders from a school called “Wheaton.”  These Wheatoners appeared to be snooty, smart-aleck, little children.  

Every day we would have to answer a question in order for our table group to get in line for all meals.  The first few days, the children from Wheaton would beat us to the line and take all of the food.  They would also take THIRDS of the meals when all we were allowed was SECONDS.  This seriously ticked-off many of the Treasure Mountainers.  Many tables, including my own, would plot against the little kids just so we could get our meal first.  

However, on the morning of March 7, that all changed.  I was in charge of reporting the weather to the people in the cafeteria. 

I got up in front of everyone and said, “Goooooood morning Teton Science School! Today’s weather is.....”  And I continued to tell them about the days forecast.  

Afterwards, I sat down in my seat and talked with my friends.  It was then that I heard a little girl say, “Excuse me... You’re the bests weather lady ever!” 

I was so shocked that the Wheaton kids were complementing me and, quite frankly, I was flattered.  


(L TO R) Mama Claire, Nicki, Ava, Loretta
Photo Courtesy of Emma Louden 

That evening at dinner I took my picture with them and they were so excited.  

Also, the next morning, Loretta, Nicki, and Ava asked if they could sit with us.  We of course said yes and had a great time talking with them.  My favorite quote from Loretta (who was quite sassy) was, “Don’t mess with the flava of the bacon or I will get you.”

Letters that they wrote to me on the last morning: 



Overall, I shared this story because I thought it was so funny that I made friends with these kids from Chicago.  It may sound like a stupid story to you, but I thought it showed that all kids want is to be friends with someone older.  I remember the days that all I wanted was to have a best friend in high school.  

With all this being said, I'm sure it's obvious why the name, "MAMA SWAG" has come to be mine.  I mean, who doesn't want to be my friend? :)


1 comment: