Thursday, January 31, 2013

Back with the Boys

It's has been a while since I have babysat Pierre and Smiley.  If I am can remember correctly my last time was on New Years Eve.  It was a long, long, long, night.

This past Saturday I was at their house from 5:15-10:45.  I wouldn't call it a late night considering New Years was around TWO IN THE MORNING.  Good grief how long can a person really party???  Anyway, I prefer getting there around 6:30 because the boys are in bed by eight at the latest.  This time, they were barely starting to eat dinner.

Rainbow (their mom) said to me before leaving, "If they don't finish their dinner, no dessert.  They've been pretty naughty tonight..."

Mama Claire at age 5-ish.
Why can't everyone just take a nap once in a while?
(Photo by my mother.)
Well, thanks for sharing.  Truly, I appreciate being forewarned that my evening will be less than pleasant. NOT!!!  After being told this, Pierre was acting like a joyous little boy.  He recited French numbers, finished his meal, and even sat in his chair.  Thank you for making my job just a little easier.  On the other hand, Smiley was having one of those bad days we all have once in awhile.  Let's just say that I don't really want to discuss the rest of dinner.

Later on we played Temple Run and then slowly gravitated toward the television.  This particular night they selected two shows that I don't really remember.  Once the shows were finished, I used my new tactic and said, "BOYS! Whoever can brush their teeth the fastest wins!"  Pierre listened but Smiley was not as convinced of this "winning."

I don't really remember how this all started, but Smiley started screaming and then threw a blanket at my face (check that off the bucket list).  This really put me over the edge.

I got up and said, "Smiley, that is enough!  You're going to bed without a book."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he furiously screamed at me.

At that moment, I realized I had made a blind threat.  There was no way in heck he was going to quietly and obediently go to sleep.  You can probably imagine how the rest of this went.  I don't think I have ever felt so bad for parents before.  Now I know how annoying it is to make a threat and realize that it will not and cannot happen without twenty times more chaos.  I do feel a bit of shame because now Smiley knows that he won't be punished for poor behavior.  Lesson learned.

In reflection, my new goal is to followthrough with what I say.  I will let you know how this goes at a later date....

No comments:

Post a Comment